Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which relay controls ignition switch, stereo, PW, A/C, etc? Mine is stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 PM
TruckForum Addict

Now that is whats I call team support!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:17 PM

I'm in Vegas baby, VEGAS

Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Well I wouldnt mind going to Vegas but you know there is that little thing called a J.O.B that wont let me ....but the next time I go to Cali I will let you know.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 PM

And now I have a headlight out. EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Had to take the truck to pick up the boy tonight and everything was fine. For now. I didn't tempt fate by shutting down when I got the grandma's house. Just gotta hope it works every time I get in. Started looking under dash to figure out how to get to the ignition switch - Haynes says remove 2-pc shroud, remove column bolts and drop the steering column, and the switch should be right up there. I thought I would start there since it seems the easiest place to start, and I'd notice any worn insulation or questionable connections. I've never dropped a column before and I also have the lower dash trim finisher that looks like it needs to come off, too.

Anyway, I'll keep ya'll posted.

PS - Vegas is a GREAT place to visit... you know the rest

Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM

can you say Torx bit? you will need one...the 2 piece cover over the column is really easy to remove.....one word of warning though.....beware of the airbag and bare wires....you dont want that thing going off

Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Yeah, saw that d@mn Torx bit. Guess I better invest.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM

Ah, good news - I started wiggling the wiring behind my dead headlight and it came back on I have doubts that it will stay on but at least I know it's just a loose connector.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 PM

you will probably have to replace the socket...but they are cheap and easy to do

Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 AM

So do ya think this could be part of my problem??? Effin monkeys got under my dash and had some kind of remote start or alarm or some crap and now it's a spliced and taped up freakin mess.

And I see now that I'm not only needing Torx bits but ALSO Torx SOCKETS to get the effin shroud and switch out. EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

Name:  ignitionwiring.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  57.9 KB

Old 03-25-2009, 01:02 AM

P.S. All of that spliced and taped wiring looks like it's part of the ignition switch harness so if I replace the switch, all that wiring will be new. I have disconnected the battery - is there still a danger of shorting and detonating the airbag? I also see 4 large nuts to be able to drop the steering column - 2 up top behind the switches and another 2 closer to the firewall behind the pedals. Am I looking at the right ones, and is dropping the column really necessary?

Quick Reply: Which relay controls ignition switch, stereo, PW, A/C, etc? Mine is stuck?