Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which relay controls ignition switch, stereo, PW, A/C, etc? Mine is stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

The washer is dead........but we picked up a set for 50.00 today so we should be set for a while now....I have to work sunday afternoon but I will check in with you when I get home and see how things are going.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM

FIXED - - - I think... for now, anyway...

Alright - never got the ignition switch harness out. Fixed a splice up under the dash on the back of the bulkhead connector but that didn't fix it. Yanked on the rest of them and they all seem tight, and I did not see any bare wiring.

Got the column dropped, removed the shroud, and ended up pulling the lock cylinder just to see WTF - and there's this cheapa$$ tin plate that houses the tumbler springs. The plate had popped loose and the springs were all like baDOING in there. A few springs even fell out but I snapped the cover back on and pushed the key in a few times and it seemed to still activate all the tumblers. I put the cylinder back in, reconnected everything, and VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. Started back up, shut down and key came out like it should. Tried it in and out, off and on several times and it seems to be fixed now.

Looks like the whole problem was the little tin cover got loose inside the cylinder and hung up in there.

Can you say FREE!?!?! Well, bought star sockets which turned out to be the wrong size anyway, so they're going back. So yeah, FREE

Cross your fingers. Ya never know what's gonna happen next

Old 03-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Thats great Tom Im glad it was something simple and not a BIG wiring mess.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Day 2, still rollin'. Guess that fixed it

Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 AM

Well, that didn't last long. Couldn't get the key to turn out of lock now - parked it like normal, steering wheel locked, and key came out but when I put the key in to start it back up, it wouldn't turn and the steering wheel would not release. Had to have it towed home this time - was a real b@tch getting it on and off the flatbed since I couldn't straighten the wheels. Guess I'll tear back into it tomorrow night. Another concern is that since I can't turn the key, will I be able to remove the lock cylinder? Last time, I had to turn the key to start while pushing in the cylinder release - this time the key won't turn at all.

Also - if I need to just replace the lock cylinder, will I have separate keys for door and ignition, or can the new cylinder be keyed to my existing key? And, can I just get a 'normal' key cylinder, without the chip?

Last edited by dmccartyfan; 04-07-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM

dude that sucks........turning the key will be a problem but there are ways around that....but it requires beaking the lock cylander which at this point seems to be the best idea to just replace it.....keep us posted

Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Lock cylinder a dealer part or???

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

nope you should be able to get it from any parts house....between 10.00 and 20.00 from o reillys

Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Oreilly's is Checker out in my neck of the woods, which is good news. Website shows it's about $26 - I didn't call yet to see if it's available in store. I usually shop at Autozone but they don't show the part.

OK - just to catch up, here are my current conditions:

- steering wheel is locked in its "can't turn with the key out" security feature. Usually, you should be able to put the key in, wiggle the wheel and step on the brake, and the steering wheel releases.

BUT

- Can't turn the key cuz (probably) my effing cylinder is jacked up.

SO

1) How do I break the cylinder to get it out without destroying anything else;
2) Should I worry about getting the steering wheel unlocked first, or do we figure that will fix itself with a new cylinder?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Alright - gonna start a new topic since this has gone way OT.