Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Some help with my belt setup please

Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Default Some help with my belt setup please

Whats up everyone, I have searched the fourm and couldnt find another set up like mine to go by so I figured I would just start this and see if I could get some help. The truck is a 89 silverado it has edlebrock aluminum heads, air gap manifold, Accell distributer, light cam, holley carb just so we have an idea of what Im working with . The belt system runs from the crank to the power steering to the water pump and fan to the altenator and back to the crank all in one circle almost a diamond shape. It looks like there is a little wobble in the system and also sqeels when I hit the gas. I did tighten it up and the sqeel went away a little bit but still when I hit it hard it sqeels. I can use the same belt and go under the waterpump but it changes the direction of the water pump and from what I have read that would cause overheating and I want to stay away from that! So is the set up ok as is or should I change it, Im not looking to spend any money at the moment or I would spend a few bucks and get a sweet set up from jegs or summit but I just want to make sure its either ok or improve it. Thanks in advance for any help with it.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

sounds like the belt needs replaced.......its probably streached and glazed.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the advice, definitely a cheap enough solution and if it doesnt fix the problem then hey at least I have a new belt! Its funny Ive rode a lot of bikes that have belt drive and like you said the belt does stretch and I didnt even think of it on the car. Thanks again and I will update when I replace it.