Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Will a 2000 Z-71 tow a 5th wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 PM

Hey JVP, I know this thread hasn't been happening for a while, but how did the JBA shorties work out? There's a speed shop down the way having a sale this Monday and I'm thinking about getting a pair of headers for my '97. Just want to make sure it's worth it.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:01 PM
TruckForum Addict

Not trying to hijack the thread, but shorty headers on 4.8, 5.3s or 6 liters is a waste of time. Your gain is minimum over the stock manifolds. If you want headers run long tubes. Now on the 5.7s I had a set of JBAs on my old 5.7 and was impressed, but i never did run long tubes on it. I have a Superchips Flashpak tuner for sale. It is used, but does that was mentioned in the other post. I like it, but I am ready move on to a tune by Nelson or some like that... anyhow if interested just PM me.

Last edited by timber74wolf; 02-19-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:41 PM

A camper is for someone that can afford to purchase a diesel truck to pull it. You have to pay to play. Can your truck pull your camper around your property? Ofcourse. Is it smart to haul it on the interstate with the gas burner? HELL NO. It's your call,but I would personally focus on getting a better equiped truck for the job. Taking your family camping isn't worth risking their lives. You will be putting an enormous amount of stress on your truck by pulling a large camper. If you end up getting the camper,make sure that you change all of the fluids in your truck much more often than usual.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback Timberwolf, I have the 5.7, so if I see a good deal on 'em I might go for it. Just looking for more torque down low. I'm thinking about picking up a dirt track race car this summer, so will be towing a car around and will be looking for the extra power.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 AM
jvp

Matt,

They are still in the box, I just have not had the time to put them on.
I did get the Hellwig air bags on the rear and they work fine. When pulling
my trailer I no longer use the EZ-lift bars, I only use the sway bar. The air bags
let the truck ride a littler softer with the trailer.

The truck now has 88+k and I just changed my tires to Michelin LTX MS/2's.
This tire is suppose to handle snow and ice well? Time will tell I am looking at taking a camping trip this week to Yosemite in the High Sierra's pulling the trailer.
I kinda expect snow conditions somewhat like your photo of your truck.

Some of the reports I have been hearing from this last storm 7ft. of fresh snow?
Hope somebody is plowing those roads!!!

good luck with the headers

jvp

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

JVP,

Thanks fr the response. Enjoy your time in Yosemite, I have to say I'm jealous. I moved to the East coast from Colorado, and I miss the mountains.

To be honest I don't know a heck of a lot about those tires you have, but I can say I was totally impressed with how the truck did in the snow out here. We got about 2 - 2 1/2 feet that day, and it was heavy wet snow. The 'ol truck just motored through it when almost no one else would even try. Spent the next week pulling people out of drifts. Oh, and my tires are some no name brand, non aggressive and on their last legs - they came with the truck when I bought it about a year ago.

Anyhow, thanks for the info and have fun,

Matt