Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

window install kickin my a$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Default window install kickin my a$$

hello everyone
i couldnt find any posts here about this or much online so i figured this would be the place to ask.
got a 98 k1500 and tryin to install right side window. there are 3 wheels in the scissor style assembly that attaches to the window motor to move it up/down.
2 go in a track attached to the window (points of the scissors) and 1 goes in a track mounted to the panel (one "finger handle" of the sicssors where the other is the window motor mounted to the panel).

if the 1 that goes to the track in the panel is taken out of its track (done w/ no window in it and scissors rolled all the way up) it allows the front scissor "point" wheel more play. so i took it out, got the back window roller in the track with the scissors all the way up and window going in at a big nose dive, rolled the scissors down some, shimmied the window around and got the front wheel in the track. now with the window it it, when it rolls all the way up, it doesnt go far enough up to allow the scissor handle wheel into its track which makes sense as you wouldnt want it to fall out of track every time you rolled the window up

i gotta be missing something as Ive heard that this should only take a few minutes to do. hopefully someone knows the trick/ proper order to do this in and what position the scissor assembly needs to be in during each step.

thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Beginner

i couldn't follow your explanation ... i'm sure someone else here can. if its urgent, a glass shop would probably show you in two minutes, no charge.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:08 PM

i guess long post short, i just need to know how to get the window in. the track from the previous one broke off so the old window just came right out.
some 1 said i need to get that bottm wheel back in its track, get the front wheel in the window track, take the window all the way down, remove part of the front rubber track to allow the window to slide fwd, then i will be able to get the back wheel on but not sure how to get it back in the front rubber track or if this is even the right method

Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

It's been a while, but I remember taping the window in the up position then with the regulator attached to the panel sliding the rollers in the track on the window and using the up/down button to bring the panel to the proper level to screw it back in. I remember it seemed complicated at first and then when I figured it out it was amazingly simple. It has been about 4 years though - I was adding power windows to a roll up truck with all the factory stuff.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 AM

i got the window in by removing the front rubber track. put the bottom wheel in the panel track, front wheel in the window track, lowering down the window and sliding the window fwd to get the back wheel in the window track. had to take the speaker out to get the rubber track back bolted up but now the plastic door cover catches when opening the door and pulls it away from the door (just held in by those plastic "rivet" things. any ideas?