General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Cleaning the bed of my truck.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Default Cleaning the bed of my truck.

So a few months ago I moved in with my girlfriend and her sister... I started to clean out the garage and I saw a few jugs of used oil. Well one of the 5 gal buckets had roofing tar in it. The tar spilled on the bed liner and I was just wondering whats the easiest way to get it out. I removed the bed liner because its one of the cheap kinds that you just place in and let it go. I'm wondering if its even worth trying to clean or just get a new one?

Any questions or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator

You can get one one craigslist for $20 or so

Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I would have to agree.... Anything strong enough to remove ROOFING TAR is probably strong enough to screw up your bed liner.
Keep an eye out for a good used one.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM

I was hoping you wouldn't say that :-( but oh well it makes sense hana thanks for the input.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 AM
TruckForum Addict

this may be to late but im thinkin outside the box on this on anywa heat the tar up and use a putty knife or drywall putty knife and scrape it off
but heat until its gooy that might work

Old 09-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Default Chill In'

I know this is a very late reply & the job's probably done (found it while searching for something else), but I'll post my suggestion in case it happens to someone else:

Dry Ice works. I had a roofing tar spill on some ABS switchgear (same stuff as most bed liners) & the roofer (guy was having a rough day!) told me to let it dry & cool it with dry ice. Popped right off by itself & didn't crack the plastic. It was well over 2" thick on the horizontal places. Paint was fine, too

While the liner is cold, I don't think I'd be quick to bash around on the spill. Maybe pry gently. I don't know how cold it can get before it will crack. A liner in a truck I used to have has had dry ice in it (urethane paint spill) and it came off with no damage to the liner.

At my old job, the maintenance guys would use it to cause those old vinyl or linoleum floor tiles to loosen right up for remodels. That way, they didn't chance breathing asbestos fibers from scraping. (Some old flooring has asbestos for strength)

I suppose this magic happens because the stuck-on item & the stuck-to item expand at different rates with temperature changes. I dunno, just a guess.

If you live near a city, there should be a ice company or an ice cream wholesaler with the product.

Don't touch it with bare skin & don't have it in a confined space where you're trying to breathe. It displaces oxygen as it flashes back to a gaseous state.

I'm leery of solvents and plastic. I don't know about ABS, but some solvents can cause the oil in some plastics to leach out, making them brittle. Others don't care what you throw at them.

Hope this is helpful!
Paul