General Truck Tech Do you have a question that doesnt apply to a certain make or model, ask it here!

Exterior Mount Cargo Cleats?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Default Exterior Mount Cargo Cleats?

I'm looking for some cargo cleats for my truck that can be mounted on the side exterior of the truck bed, rather than on the inside or on the top. Anybody seen anything like this? I've called a couple of places and searched using the 'net and no luck so far.

I've been thinking I could perhaps get something from the boat industry and modify how its mounted, but Ideally I'd just like to got something already designed for truck use.

I want exterior mount because I have a tonneau cover for the bed - which I really like, but occasionally I'd like to be able to lash something on top of the cover. It can take the weight, but its an Undercover brand, and the way it mounts on the truck, I wouldn't trust a cleat mounted to the cover, which is why I want a cleats mounted to my truck instead. My thinking is something lashed on top of the cover could encounter a lot of wind resistance, so I'd like the lashing straps secured to more than just the tonneau cover.

My brother has looked at it, he is very handy with metal work, etc, his best suggestion is that we could find the interior structure of the bed sides and fasten the cleats to that, so now its a question of where to find such cleats.