New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Advice on which truck to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Beginner
Default Advice on which truck to buy

Okay, so I'm new to the truck world (or will be) and need advice on which truck to get into. I'm sure there are many posts on this, but humor me. I'm looking for reliability. I'm looking for tow capability, but not an every day thing. Mostly just for a boat every once in a while. I know I want 4x4, but it's not a deal breaker. Comfort is important, but pretty just hitting the first two would be great.

So, here are the stipulations. I don't want BRAND NEW, but I'm not looking at super old, unless the mileage is on the low end. So far, I've been looking into 2013/14 F150 with the 5.0, the silverado/sierras of around the same generation, but 2007 and up on those. I know they have a clunkier version of the AFM feature, but I've heard there are ways around that. At the end of the day, I want a truck I'll be happy with for a long time, but not break the bank. Pretty much shooting for around 22k for a newer (maybe not so high mileage) truck, or an older truck for cheaper price with lower mileage, but still reliable and looks good. I've owned a 98 1500 and loved it, but it was old a busted. Not in nice condition, but I do know the 5.3s are hard to beat.

Any thoughts? Any preferences? I know ford has the smaller motors with turbo which could be cheaper for newer, but I don't want something that wont last. Also, I do realize it's all about how you maintain the vehicle and of course there will always be a clunker or two.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Beginner

It is not that easy to recommend a certain type of a truck as it mainly depends on the area you are going to use it in and of course the way you will maintain it. If you don't want a brand new one, the best option is buying from the city you live in as it will give you benefit of getting more information about its owner, and the site it was used it in.
Here are the top three best trucks according to us.news:

Full Size Pickup Trucks

• #1 2019 Ram 1500
  • #2 2018 Ford F-150
  • #3 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Old 08-07-2018, 05:59 AM
Beginner
Default Same here

About 3 yrs ago I shared similar goals, spent 3 months looking and bought a Ford Focus. This allowed me to save about $300 a month to put towards a truck someday. The focus crapped out and Ford refused to fix it under warranty so it was traded for a Honda Accord about six months ago. Im finally ready to buy new now but don't like anything on the market except for the 2019 ram 1500s.

When the new trucks sky rocketed in price so did the used market. Check any site like autotrader, carmax, etc.... I was finding 1/2 ton trucks almost 20 yrs old with 200,000 miles listed for $15k, it's insane. Heck dealers have used 2018s with 30k miles next to new 2018s and only take $2k off the price for the used.

My opinion is hold off and buy new with a good down payment. Used trucks can be a gamble, some 1/2 tons are used as Dads minivan and some as work horses.

Go to a Ram dealer and just sit in a 2019 Ram 1500 limited, you'll be amazed. Ford's are almost as nice but Chevy/GMC is way behind

Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Beginner

Well, thanks for the input. I was expecting more, but I ended up doing some research and went used. 2015 Silverado LT Z71 Extended Cab. I would say, compared to the market, that I got a decent deal, but not the best. Compared to the options I have, the stealerships really were so high I just laughed at them. I went private party, but I think I came out at a decent price point.

As far as the truck goes, I think it really depends on what you want/need; as mentioned. This truck is GREAT, but I was a little taken by throttle response compared to other vehicles. I plan on changing this via the ECM, but it's still great, non-the-less. It did come with brand new off-road M/Ts. I don't like them, but they are growing on me. I just need to either get a second set of stockers for road trips, or get new tires all together.