well guys im thinking of buying a used plow

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:52 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default well guys im thinking of buying a used plow

i have been pondering at the thaught of buying a plow for a truck since i was old enaugh to drive
i dont know alot about plows
so i think before winter i would like to buy a used plow
so what should i look for
what should i stay away from
if a plow pump is bad would it be worth the money to get it fixed

i want to plow in the winter if i get laid off from my construction job
and thanks fro makeing a plow and towing thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Rebuilding a pump up here costs about $700 so I'd try and stray away from that...

When it comes to buying a good used plow, don't cheap out on it. There's going to be a ton of plows from $500-$1500 and you'll get what you pay for. You'll either get one of the old truck mounted pumps that takes 16 hours to install and always looks terrible or you'll get a bad pump and a reskinned blade with a poor cutting edge thats one rock away from busting to peices.

I would look for a newer Boss, Western, Meyer, Fischer, or Curtis etc etc. Go with a name brand that is known for commercial reliability. If it's made to be used commercially when it's new, its probably fine for residential use when it's used. Quick connect is a must... if you're not sure what that means, its when the plow/lights/pump are all one assembly and completely disconnect from the truck leaving only a metal mount underneath the bumper and a plug of some sort to plug into. It's the least invasive and easiest to install(doesn't require remounting of the bumper and whatnot), just a few bolts and wires. I personally went with a BOSS Super Duty because after looking at all the others and purchasing an 8ft Western Unimount, I felt more comfortable with the construction of the boss. it seemed to be heavier duty than the others in every aspect and in fact my 7.5' boss weighs about 2-300lbs more than did the 8' western I had did. (I never actually mounted the Western as it was for Ford, but I got a steal on it and ended up trading up to the Boss a week after I bought it). I have been very happy with the boss, I ended up paying the equivalent of $2500 for it and paid a professional $200 to flush the fluids and professionally mount it on the truck. The thing has never let me down, always worked, and took every bit of abuse that the truck gave it.

Hopefully this info helps

Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 PM
TruckForum Addict

i will keep that in mind
i have one other question thow
what do you think about the ones that are made of pvc or plastic material ive seen alot of them but i dont anymore which tells me they dont last long
i think i will go with a western or boss as they are all over where i live know i just need to start looking for a good deal on one
i should probably ask them to hook it up to there truck first to make sure it works and there is no probelms before buying and if they wont ill pass as there probably is something wrong with it

Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 AM

Heres my 2 cents. I have a curtis 7.5 snow pro on my 2000 GMC 2500. I bougt it new and only use it for my home,dad's farm, my neighbor, etc.. never commercialy. I love the quick hitch and run, and the mount on my truck without the plow is hardly noticeable. But you make a go point a curtis dealer is hard to find so if I need parts it's online or a 40 mile drive and he dosn't have it in stock. My curtis is also heavy built, and to carry on the front of my truck, almost 800lb so I don,t like to run down the road with my plow on any more than I have to. But when it snows I am warm dry and pushing snow! Yes you can make good money plowwing commercialy, but one bad day and your hole season's profit goes into truck repairs.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 PM

You should look at Fisher, Boss they are both great plows. Stay away from Meyer, they are known for pump prolems.