Bigger tires - Higher PSI ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Default RE: Bigger tires - Higher PSI ???

Lol, I am ready to quit. Believe what you want but I used to be a tire jockey and this is my two cents. Air causes increase/decrease in sidewall stiffness, and between the air and sidewall rubber, supports the weight of the vehicle. As long as the tires are suited for the vehicle with the correct weight rating, you could have a sidewall 5 feet high but still only need the "factory pressure". Cause 35 psi in a smaller tire is less air than 35 psi in a larger tire. But 35 psi is still 35 psi. I have never put on tires and put more than what the vehicle called for unless the customer requested it. Like 5psi or so higher won't hurt but some guys wanted like 10 or more and that almost always causes tires to wear prematurely in the middle.

72Charger:
"I don't want to start anything but it all comes down to what kind of ride your looking for man. Again JUST MY .02 CENTS WORTH, but in my OPINION there is no such thing as a perfect tire pressure. It all depends on so many different factors that you just have to run several different tire pressures and see how you like it. On top of that. Every tire pressure gauge is a tiny bit different than another one unless you get into a GOOD quality gauge. Which means you don't know if the pressure you put in there is "exact". Ultimately your gonna wanna stay close to the factory air pressure decal on the door in order for the tire to wear out correctly. If you run too much pressure, you stiffen the ride and you wear out the center of the tire more than the outside edges of the tire. If you run too little you soften the ride and you wear out the outside edges of the tire more than the center of the tire. You have to find the happy medium of wear you want it set(quality of the ride wise) and deside how far away you wanna go from the factory setting and then justify wearing the tires out incorrectly. Honestly, I rarely check my tire pressures but I keep them at 35psi front and rear and they are a bit bigger than the factory tire size rating. But I've had them for a year and so far they are wearing out perfectly even. Good luck. Don't forget to use the FAQ on the top of the Silverado page if you have any more questions."

I agree with this you have a few pounds under or over to go. The recomended psi on the vehicle is like a baseline. The MAX is for people who might haul stuff 24/7 and feel like cranking up their tires all the way or maybe just out of stupidity I don't know, anyhow the MAX is like "Hey stupid, stop here or your tire could go BOOM when they warm up!". But thats just a limit not a requirement or a basline.

If you had a 1500 with a push bar, cap, toolbox, roof rack, ladders, etc... Sure crank it up a little if you have too!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Ok here is good advice for everyone. Try what it calls for on the door. Say 35 psi...no matter what tire size. Do they look "squished" a little? Then add a few psi! But the sidewalls DO NOT have to be perfectly solid. Truck will usually bounce like a basketball if you go tto far. Gettying too close to the MAX COLD PRESSURE? Then stop! Thats it!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
TruckForum Addict

Exacry!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Looks good I think that says it all!!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM
TruckForum Addict

See if i ran 35 in my tires they would be flat. I ran what the tires say on the side wall and i have never had a tire wear out uneven. My tires say run 60 or 65 i cant remember and i run them 5 psi lower then what it says and they ride like crap if i dont run that psi. JUST MY2 CENT.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Red face tire pressure

what's up guys, I've got an 89 c2500, factory psi for 225/75 tires is 40 front and 65 rear? Anyway I have 265/70 yokohamas on there where should I be at?

Old 01-06-2023, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Originally Posted by legacy
Look on the tire for the psi, whatever it says (say 65, subtract 5 to 10) if you are running mostly on pavement and want to get better mpg. If you are offroading and want a comfier ride, then lower the psi like 15-20 psi from whatever it says on your tire.
Thats the worst advice and method of deciding tire pressure that I’ve ever heard of! If you’re running OEM tires, stick with the door jamb placard. Maybe adjust up 2psi if you do a lot of highway driving but never deviate too far from the jamb placard.