Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2002 Silverado To lift or not to Lift

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Default 2002 Silverado To lift or not to Lift

I have a 2002 Silverado LT 4x4. I've done all the scheduled upkeep and then some. I have a Spectre Cold Air intake(thinking of going to K and N), cat back duals and went with 285 instead of 265 tires 25K miles ago. I like the look of lifted trucks. I don't want to go more than 3 inches. What will this do to the ride of the truck?

Do I have to buy new bigger tires to do this?

Please note that I drive a LOT in my work, having put about 25K miles on the truck a year.

Let me ask one more question. Is there something I can do to improve the ride of the truck? I got Rancho Shocks at 80K miles. I'm up to 150K now. I got the tires rotated and found that I needed a new sealed bearing on one of the wheels last week and that helped improve the ride somewhat.

If this has been addressed significantly somewhere else and you can refer me to that thread I am cool with that.

If anyone who reads here and sees this lives in the south of Houston, Texas area and has a lifted truck and would give me a ride around the block I'd love it.

By the way, I like to drive FAST, not recklessly mind you, but FAST and am afraid a lifted truck will not handle well.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM

The way it sounds like you use your truck I wouldn't reccomend a lift. In general lift kits are harder on suspension components balljoints, tierods, u-joints, shocks, chassis bushings, etc. granted some of this comes from oversize tires also. The height will only add to body roll and sway. Bigger truck/bigger wheels and tires result in less gas mileage and under rated brakes.

In the end it is up to you, but my personal opinion is lifts are good if you have a use for it. If only for looks going down the highway then its useless.