Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

95 Chevy Silverado- "Service Engine Soon"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM

95 chevy that is running wierd. Service engine light came on today and for about a week it has been idleing sporatically, stalling out, and bogging down especially when at intersection.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by elliottrjchevy
95 chevy that is running wierd. Service engine light came on today and for about a week it has been idleing sporatically, stalling out, and bogging down especially when at intersection.
I suggest you to sell your 95 chevy and buy a brand new model to get rid of these problems

Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by elliottrjchevy
Get the code read it is telling you something. You can get them read fro free at Autozone or some of the other parts stores. Let us know what code your getting.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:35 PM

wnpl405.

WOW! if it were only that easy. everyone would have new rides and mechanics would be out of jobs. sell it and buy a new one. Wow!

Mr. Shamrock

Its a code 44. Left o2 lean. I have replaced the fuel filter, o2 sensor, and idle air control valve. Also plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

The TBI trucks are fairly simple and you have eliminated some common culprits. I would pull the EGR and clean it real good and check that is holds vacuum. Also check the 4 vacuum lines that go to the throttle body. There are 3 on the front (EGR, PCV, and one that goes to the vapor canister) and one on the back of the throttle body that goes to the MAP sensor. Also if it hasn't been done in a while I like to remove the throttle body and clean all the carbon out of it - they can get real nasty. There is a rebuild kit available for them too that is fairly inexpensive, but can do wonders. I think they are in the $25 range, but try the free stuff first.
Also free - check that the 2 injectors are spraying a clean conical pattern not spitting and sputtering. And check your fuel pressure it should be in the 9-15 PSI range.
Another common culprit is the coolant temperature sensor - these are only around $12 and I always put a new one on when I buy a TBI truck just because I have been left stranded over that stupid thing. I normally don't like replacing good parts, but I consider it cheap insurance since it cost me a $300 tow a few years back. Also that could cause a lean condition if it is reading wrong - it is the one by the thermostat housing. Also while you are looking at the thermostat housing make sure the ground wires that connect to the bolt there are not broken or frayed - seems to happen a lot.

I know it sounds like a lot but these motors are super reliable and all that should only take a couple hours to check and will give you an idea of your issue - hopefully resolve it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mr_Shamrock; 09-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.